The GPF subscription of an employee of the Government of Assam is governed by the GPF (Assam Services) Rules, 1937 as amended from time to time.

1.  What constitutes 'Family' for the purpose of GPF Rules?

Spouse, Parents, children, minor brothers, unmarried sisters, deceased son's widow and children and if no Parent of the subscriber is alive, a paternal grandparent.  A female subscriber can exclude her husband from the list of Family members.

2.  Is an adopted child a member of the family?

Yes, if under the personal law of the subscriber adoption is legally recognised.  (Note 2 under Rule 1-2 of GPF (AS) Rules.

3.  What is the minimum amount of subscription?

Minimum rates as prescribed by the Government in Rule 10(1) of GPF (A.S.) Rules and it shall not be less than   6 1/4 percent of his/her emoluments.

4.  What are the emoluments for determining the minimum rate of subscription?

Emoluments drawn on the 31st March of the previous year provided that :

  • If, the subscriber was on leave on that day and opted not to subscribe during 
    leave or was under suspension, the emoluments due on rejoining duty.
  • If, the subscriber on deputation out of India on that day or continued to be on leave but opted to subscribe during such leave, the emoluments he would have drawn had he not proceeded on deputation or leave.
  • If, the subscriber was not in Government Service on 31st March of the previous year, emoluments on the date of joining the Fund.  (Rule 10 of GPF(Assam Service) Rules)

5. Can the subscriber alter his rate of subscription?

Yes.  The rate can be reduced (not below the prescribed minimum) once a year in March and increased twice a year. (in case of AIS officers) . As per GPF (Assam Service) Rules, the subscriber may fix the rate of subscription on or before 31st March of the preceeding year through a written request to the DDO. The rate of subscription so fixed shall not be altered during the year.

6. How is subscription to GPF recovered?

  • From the Pay and Allowances drawn from Treasury.
  • If Pay and Allowances are drawn from any other source, the subscriber himself will forward his dues to the A.G.
  • If on deputation to a body corporate or organisation under Societies Registration Act, the employer shall recover and forward it by Demand Draft/ Cheque drawn in favour of the A.G.  (Rule 12 (1)  & (2)) of GPF(Assam Service) Rules

7.  How should the arrears of subscription be recovered?

The arrears should either be paid by the subscriber or recovered from the emoluments in installments as directed by the authority competent to sanction an advance from the Fund. (Rule 12 (3)) of GPF (Assam Service) Rules.

8.  What are the occasions for non -recovery of subscription?

  • During suspension
  • During leave on half pay or loss of pay
  • After receiving the Final Withdrawal amount.
  • During period treated as dies-non
  • Last 3 (three) months of service before superannuation

Note : No proportionate recovery need be made if the subscriber dies during a month (Rule9(4))

9. Why should the subscriber make a nomination?

Nomination is needed to confer on one or more persons the right to receive the  money at the credit of the subscriber in the event of his death before the amount becomes payable to him or not paid to him after it becoming payable.  The nomination should be treated as a confidential document. (Rule 7 (1))

10. What is the format of the nomination?

The nomination should be made in triplicate in one of the applicable forms prescribed in the first schedule to the Rules. (Rule 7 (3))

11. Can a subscriber nominate more than one person?

Yes,  but he should specify the share payable to each nominee so as to cover the entire amount standing to his credit. (Rule 7 (2)) 

12. Should a subscriber nominate only members of his family?

Yes,  if he has a family -   Proviso to Rule 7 (1)

13. Should the subscriber notify the change in his marital status?

Any change in marital status should be notified immediately by self-drawing subscribers to the A.G. through the Department and non-self drawing officers to the Head of Office and fresh nomination should be filed, if necessary. (Rule 7 (7))

14. How often should the nominations be reviewed?

Every subscriber shall review his nomination once in Five years and confirm or intimate any change, if necessary, in the prescribed form and furnish fresh nomination, if necessary. (Rule 7(8))

Each DDO should send a certificate once in Five Years to the Head of the Department to the effect that all subscribers in his office have been directed to review their nominations and that fresh nominations obtained wherever necessary and forwarded to A.G in respect of self-drawing Officers.  The certificate in respect of subscribers working in the Office of Heads of Departments should be sent to the concerned Department of Government.
Ruling (i) under Rule 7 (8)  

15. Is the nomination made by Christian and Mohammedan subscribers in favour of an adopted child acceptable?

No, because the adoption is not recognized under Christian/Mohammedan law for their respective religions.

16.  Can an unmarried subscriber nominate an adopted child?

Yes, if Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act, 1956 is applicable to the subscriber. 

17.  Can  a subscriber having no family nominate an institution?


18.  What are the purposes for which advance from GPF can be sanctioned ?

Advances can be sanctioned to meet the expenditure in connection with

  • Medical treatment of the subscriber or his dependent.
  • Higher education of subscriber or dependant in specified academic, medical, engineering, technical or scientific process.
  • Marriages, funerals or other ceremonies. (Rule 14) of GPF(Assam Service) Rules

19.  Who can sanction a temporary advance?

An authority specified in the Fifth schedule of the Rules.  There should be a sanction order in writing.

20.  What are the monetary limits of temporary advance?

  • Three months pay or half of the amount at the credit of the subscriber in the Fund, whichever is less. In special circumstances, advance up to 60% of balance may be sanctioned, considering the status of the subscriber and the purpose for which the advance is sanctioned. (Rule 14 (1)  ( c )  (i) and (iii))
  • A second advance can be sanctioned only after six months from the drawal of the first and this fact should also be certified in the sanction order. (Rule 14 (1)  ( c )  (ii))
  • When an advance is sanctioned when a previous one is outstanding, it should be consolidated and the subsequent installment for recovery be fixed with reference to the consolidated amount.  (Rule 15 (1))

21.  Can advance be granted to a subscriber who is under suspension?

Yes, if he agrees in writing that recovery can be effected from his subsistence allowance.  Pay drawn by the subscriber  immediately before suspension should be reckoned as Pay for determining the limit.

22.  How is the advance recovered?

In equal monthly installments of not less than 12 (unless the subscriber wants a lesser number) and not more than 24.   (Rule 15 (1))

23.  Is any interest levied on the advance?

Yes; As per provision of Rule 15 (4) of GPF(Assam Service) Rules.

24.  Can advance be sanctioned to subscribers retiring in less than a year?

Yes,  but in such cases installment should be so fixed that the recovery of the entire amount is completed three months prior to the date of retirement.

25.  What are the circumstances under which recovery towards advance need not be made?

  • Recovery may not be made except with the subscriber's consent if he is in receipt of subsistence grant on leave on half pay  or loss of pay for 10 days or more in a month.
  • On specific request from the subscriber, when advance of pay granted to him is being recovered   (Rule 15 (2))

26. What should be done if advance is wrongfully used?

The sanctioning authority may get the written explanation of the subscriber.  If the explanation is not satisfactory, the subscriber should repay the amount in one lump sum immediately.  If the amount is more than half the emoluments, recoveries should be effected from the salary till the entire amount is repaid. 

27.  When and how can a Part Final Withdrawal (PFW) be allowed?

PFW may be sanctioned by the authorities competent to sanction advance for  reasons prescribed in the Rule at any time after the subscriber completes 25 years of service or within 8 years before retirement, whichever is earlier.  (No authorisation from the A.G is necessary for drawing the amount.) Rule 28 of GPF(Assam Service) Rules.

28.  What are purposes for which PFW is allowed?

PFW is admissible to meet the expenditure in connection with :

  • Medical treatment of the subscriber or his dependent ;
  • Higher education in specified academic*, medical, engineering, technical or scientific courses of the subscriber or his dependent 
  • Marriage of children or any other dependent female relative;
  • Acquisition or construction of residential house (including cost of site), repayment of loan taken for the purpose and reconstruction or making additions or alteration to a house already  owned or acquired;

29.  How many withdrawals are allowed for the same purpose?

Only one.  Marriage, education or illness of different children will not be treated as same purpose.  Marriage of the same child/female dependent are treated as different purposes.  PFW for higher education, subject to monetary limits specified, may be permitted every year for the same purpose.   

30.  Can a subscriber draw both an advance and withdrawal for the same purpose?


31.  Can withdrawal be sanctioned to the subscriber under suspension?

Yes, If he is otherwise eligible.

32. Can PFW be sanctioned during the last three months of service?


33.  What is the maximum amount of PFW?

The amount should not ordinarily exceed one half of the balance or six months pay whichever is less.  However, the sanctioning authority may relax the limit of 6 months on special ground but in no case, should more than 10 months. Pay to be sanctioned vide Rule 28-C of GPF(Assam Service) Rules.    

34.  What are the special conditions for the grant of PFW for purchase or construction of house?

As specified under Rule 28-D of GPF(Assam Service) Rules.

36. Can the subscriber get PFW during the last year of service?

Yes.  The authority competent to sanction PFW can sanction withdrawal as specified under Rule 28, 28-B, 28-C & 28-D of GPF(Assam Service) Rules.

37. Can an advance be converted to withdrawal?


38. Are all the outstanding advances eligible for conversion?


39. When will the GPF amount become finally payable?

Following are the occasions for the final payment of GPF :

  • Retirement on superannuation;
  • Death while in service (payable to nominees or legal heirs);
  • Dismissal, removal, compulsory retirement or invalidation from service.  If  appeal has been preferred, payment can be made only after the appeal is finally disposed of or withdrawn by the subscriber. 
  • Resignation - payable after the issue of final orders accepting the resignation.  Resignation to take up appointments under a body corporate, autonomous organisation etc. will be treated as absorption and the balance in the Fund will be transferred if he joins the new post without break and with proper permission of Government.
  • Voluntary retirement - after the issue of orders permitting voluntary retirement. 
  • If a  temporary official is terminated, he can either withdraw the amount or leave it in the Fund to be withdrawn while quitting service finally.
  • On permanent transfer to another Government or Corporate Body or Organisation controlled/owned by Government, the balance together with interest will be transferred to the new institution (if the institution and the subscriber agree for the transfer  Otherwise, the amount together with interest may be paid to the subscriber.)   

40. How PF money is paid to a minor beneficiary of the deceased subscriber?

The amount may be paid to the guardian specified by the subscriber in a declaration.  If no such declaration exists, payment should be made to the guardian appointed by a court except in the following cases :

  • Payment up to Rs.10,000/- may be made to the natural guardian without guardianship certificate on production of indemnity bond;
  • In cases governed by Hindu Law, entire amount due to a minor may be paid to the Hindu widow of the subscriber unless the interests of the mother are adverse to those of the minor children.
  • Payment may be made to the Hindu father of the minor unless the interests of the father are adverse to those of the children.