Grievance Redressal Mechanism

The C&AG office is committed to address public grievances. For communicating grievances related to Accounts and Entitlements (GPF, Pension etc.) in this office, the applicants may follow the following procedure:

  • By using the link or can submit their grievance under Feedback/Complaint/Grievances section available on the State AG website, or the applicant may lodge the complaint directly address at 

  • In case, the response is not satisfactory,  the applicant may communicate the grievance to the Sr. Administrative Officer (Complaint) in CAG office at or through CPGRAMS.


For other issues, please access Contact Us section.