Revenue surplus consistently declined from Rs 1,137 crore (2015-16) to Rs 920 crore (2016‑17) and Rs 314 crore (2017-18) despite heavy devolution from the GoI. Fiscal deficit increased by Rs 922 crore from Rs 2,948 crore in 2016-17 to Rs 3,870 crore in 2017-18.
Only 35 per cent of the Revenue receipts came from the State’s own resources comprising taxes and non-taxes, while the remaining 65 per cent were contributed by central transfers. The revenue expenditure increased by Rs 1,709 crore (7 per cent) from Rs 25,344 crore in 2016-17 to Rs 27,053 crore in 2017-18 and its share in total expenditure increased from 79 per cent in 2016-17 to 86 per cent in 2017-18.
Overall fiscal liabilities at the end of the year were Rs 51,030 crore with growth of 8 per cent over the previous year. Fiscal liabilities were 37.55 per cent of GSDP and 1.86 times of the revenue receipts.
During next ten years (2028-29) State has to repay market loan of Rs 20,874 crore (96.75 per cent) out of total outstanding loan of Rs 21,574 crore along with interest amounting to Rs 9,483 crore.
Excess expenditure of Rs 386.76 crore in two grants and one appropriation which required regularisation of the State Legislature under Article 205 of the Constitution of India in addition to excess expenditure of Rs 9,402.18 crore for the period 2011-12 to 2016-17.
Substantial delays in submission of utilisation certificates occurred and as a result proper utilisation of grants could not be ensured.